Museum of Decorative Arts in Prague – founded in 1885, the Prague Museum of Decorative Arts (Czech: Uměleckoprůmyslové museum v Praze or UPM) is housed in a Neo-Renaissance edifice built from 1897 to 1899 after the designs of architect Josef Schulz. It opened in 1900 with exhibitions on the first floor. The Museum’s rich collections include decorative and applied arts and design work ranging from Late Antiquity to the present day with focus on European objects, particularly arts and crafts created in the Bohemian lands. The impressive interior of the permanent exhibition, “Stories of Materials,” offers visitors an excursion into the history and development of decorative arts in the disiplines of glass, ceramics, graphic art, design, metal, wood and other materials, as well as objects such as jewellery, clocks and watches, textiles, fashion, toys and furniture.
National Museum (Prague) – is a Czech museum institution intended to systematically establish, prepare and publicly exhibit natural scientific and historical collections. It was founded 1818 in Prague by Kašpar Maria Šternberg. Historian František Palacký was also strongly involved.
At present the National Museum houses almost 14 million items from the area of natural history, history, arts, music and librarianship, located in tens of buildings.
Jewish Museum in Prague – is a museum of Jewish heritage located in Prague, Czech Republic. The Jewish Museum in Prague was founded in 1906 by historian Dr. Hugo Lieben and Dr. Augustin Stein, who later became head of the Prague Jewish Community. The goal was to preserve artifacts from the Prague synagogues demolished during the Urban renewal of the old Jewish Quarter in the beginning of the 20th century. In 1942, the communities were instructed to send the contents of their synagogues to the Jewish Museum in Prague, and, with a few exceptions, the Torah Scrolls, gold and silver and ritual textiles were sent to Prague, along with thousands of books. Artifacts were shipped to the museum from all the Jewish communities and synagogues of Bohemia and Moravia. The inventory of the Prague Jewish Museum expanded by fourteen times as a result, and a large number of Jews were put to work by the Germans to sort, catalogue and put into storage all the items that had come from over one hundred congregations in Bohemia and Moravia. It needed over forty warehouses, many of them deserted Prague synagogues, to store all these treasures.
Antonín Dvořák Museum – is a museum dedicated to the great Czech composer Antonín Dvořák (1841-1904). Dvořák Museum
It is part of the Czech Museum of Music which in turn is part of the complex of the National Museum. It is housed in a baroque building which was designed by the famous architect Kilian Ignaz Dientzenhofer at the beginning of the 18th century. Although the house itself has no particular link with the composer the Antonín Dvořák museum has been housed there since 1932. It is situated in the north part of the New Town, about 15 minutes walk from the city centre.
Bedřich Smetana Museum – is a museum which is dedicated to the life and works of famous Czech composer Bedřich Smetana (1824-1884). It is situated in the centre of Prague in a small block of buildings right next to Charles Bridge on the right bank of the river Vltava in the Old Town (Novotného lávka 1, 110 00 Praha 1). The building, which was formerly owned by Prague Water Company, has housed the Smetana Museum since 1936. It is a grand building in the Renaissance style. The main part of the museum exhibits are on the first floor. The upper floors house archive material relating to Smetana, providing a centre for research.
National Technical Museum – is the largest institution dedicated to preserving information and artifacts related to the history of technology in the Czech Republic. The museum was founded in 1908 and has been in its current location (adjacent to Letná Park) since 1941. The museum has large exhibits representing approximately 15% of its total collection. The museum also manages substantial archives consisting of approximately 3,500 linear shelf meters of archival material and about 250,000 books. In 2001 the museum opened a Railroad Museum that contains about 100 railway vehicles. The 2002 European floods caused damage to some 200 cubic metres of documents at the museum – in a location separate to the main building. Work involved in drying and restoring the materials is expected to continue until 2013.
Kepler Museum – was founded in the International Year of Astronomy, 2009 thanks to the generosity of the owner of the museum’s premises Mrs. Jitka Steinwaldová, the professional and organizational support of the Czech Astronomic Society and the Agentura ProVás, and the financial support of the Magistrate of the Capital City of Prague and the Agentura ProVás. The three circles in the logo of the Kepler Museum represent the planet Mars, the Earth, and the Sun. These are the bodies whose mutual positions were studied by Kepler in Prague.